Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Zebra Jeff turns into Grandpa Jeff (Getting through the noise)

How do you get through all of the noise?

Yesterday the most wonderful thing happened, my son, Chad and his wife, Jill had their first child, and I became a Grandpa, for the first time. Tucker Jeffrey Koser was born at 6:02 a.m., weighed 7'13", and is 20 inches long. All of these statistics are average, but big for a Koser!

Mom and Tucker are healthy!

Mom, Dad, Grandpa and the entire family are all very proud.

As mentioned, statistically Tucker is (well perhaps a little bigger than) average. But you should see his large hands and feet. The nurse showed me that Tucker's footprint filled the little footprint identification sheet. Hands like Brett Favre, and flippers like Michael Phelps! Do you feel that? This information is compelling to me because it's very personal.

You know it is personally important to me, because I told you so.

Tucker definitely got through all of the noise in my world and got my attention.

Okay, so this might be a bit of a stretch in transition, but I am going to make it anyway. In sales you have to find out what is personally important to a person in a position of Power (Power is the person who will own the promises it takes to get your sale approved) if you are to make it through all of the noise in their world.

Executives tell you what is personally important to them just like I told you what was personally important to me. Read the chairman's letter in their annual report. The chairman's letter will give you two, three, or even a handful of nuggets that can be used to create a lead, and help you penetrate an account at an executive level.

Use the exact words you find in the chairman's letter. There isn't any reason to get cleaver or creative. Repeat the words exactly as they are printed, because this way they will know exactly what you are saying. I have personally used this technique over the phone and in face-to-face meetings. On numerous occasions I have been asked where I got such "on target" inside information.

I told you earlier what was important to me today - TUCKER! Power makes it just as easy for you to know what is important to them.

No comments: